Saturday, June 7, 2008

Portland Music Scene

Every once in awhile I like to write a blog about the Portland Music Scene. Every time I do I can't help but feeling pretentious and a little misguided at best. After all, I don't really go out to shows that much and I no longer enjoy spending my weekends (and weekdays) drinking Pabst at shitty smokey bars.

Performing with a band 2-4 times per week will cure you of wanting to see other bands perform and will likely cure you of hanging out in bars too. Although it is likely to encourage you to be an alcoholic. Now, the only bands I want to see are ones that I have heard of and bands that have been a part of my life. I want to see Stone Temple Pilots, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Ryan Adams, the Pogues ... you know ... established artists. I don't want to see your shitty friends shitty band.

And that attitude is precisely why it's going to be hard to get people to see our band. It's funny but true - because we're your shitty friends shitty band. If only by default.

It's hard to get people out to shows these days. I know 10 years ago it was hard too ... we have to compete with so many things. We have to compete with the "shitty friends band complex" but we also have to compete with whatever popular TV shows are keeping people at home. We have to compete with movies, books - so many forms of entertainment that are FREE. The internet for crying out loud ... youtube ... It seems like the only thing we don't have to compete with these days is someone whose only option is to watch paint dry - and even that is debatable.

I dunno. This is a shitty blog that doesn't make any sense and I don't really even believe any of the things I said. I have to admit I just wasted your time. I only wrote it because I am bored and waiting to receive an important email. Maybe a part of me is hoping that if someone google's "Portland Music Scene" our blog might come up ... and someone might be inclined to check out just another shitty friends' shitty band. Or whatever.

No comments: