Saturday, June 14, 2008

Thoughts on Social Networking Web sites ...

I recently completed some social networking sites for my favorite author, Bill Carter. I invite you to add the books to your friends list - and above all else I invite you to read them.

Red Summer

Fools Rush In

I have been thinking a lot about social networking lately. Many people who are friends with Fenbi now were originally friends because of the work we did with The Young Immortals.

Firstly, we performed at Shaken Not Stirred once a week where we just goofed off and had fun and became friends with one another. Next, we kept in touch not only through work and friendship, but also through myspace. I think I have had conversations with nearly every person I met through Shaken Not Stirred via myspace, and that is pretty crazy if you think about it.

There is a huge rage going about the PR world right now as professionals try to figure out how to fully utilize social networking Web sites. But I think I have come to believe that social networking sites are only one piece of the pie. You still need to have community outreach on a personal level, and you can't expect anything on the net to replace something as simple as putting posters up around town.

Any promotional effort needs to have many moving parts and just like we have realized so many times in the past in science, or marketing or whatever - there is never a silver bullet to any problem in life. People are complicated and so is society.

Anyway - I don't know if any one will get anything from this blog ... but let me know what you think.

No comments: