Wednesday, August 6, 2008

3rd Day Unemployed

Unemployed Day 3, Portland, OR

Man, being unemployed is pretty great except for the not having money part. Even so, I am finding some great things to do that aren't very expensive and that I didn't have time to do before.

Portland Futsol

Last night I went to SE 17th and played futsol with a bunch of guys I didn't really know. I must admit I was horribly out of shape and after 5 minutes I was seeing double and needed to sit out. Despite my lack of ability to dribble or even pass as sharply as I used to, I still managed some good plays. I even got an assist, not bad for someone who hasn't played in over two years!

One thing I realized is how lame having a 9-5 job is when I can't exercise! Seriously, I am probably about 15 pounds overweight and it is quite disturbing once I try to do something that would have been easy before. Just a couple years ago I would have been zipping all over the place and schooling those bastards - now I am one of the slowest guys on the field. I must change that!

Hummus from Scratch

I also took advantage of feeling poor by making hummus from scratch. Usually it costs a pretty penny from Fred Meyer (even worse at Zupan's or Whole Foods) but I gathered 3 cans of garbanzo beans, some garlic, some lemon, and 1/4 of a cup of tahini and made probably $30 worth of hummus for $3. It was awesome! I put too much tahini in ... so that is why I am not posting my recipe.

Communications Positions, PR, Portland, OR

I applied for more PR positions related to web strategy and communication today. I was so excited to see a fresh job posting that I shaved and ran down to their office to personally deliver my resume. When I got back home I realized they had just announced today their new hires for communications counsel. Talk about yelling the F word so loud my whole neighborhood could hear it!

Portland Timbers

Anyway, I am going to see the Timbers tomorrow night. I might have some yard work lined up and it will feel good to work a bit. It's only been 3 days of unemployment so I don't have to get my panties in a knot ... yet. da da daaaa.

TBC

No comments: